Thursday, August 23, 2007
posted by thee modern isis at 12:26 PM

I went to a funeral not too long ago and was so shocked at the things I had learned. It was a elderly woman that passed away.. but she had already had her entire funeral mapped out. I guess when you're young you really don't take the time to think about when you pass let alone who you want speaking on your behalf. The things she had prepared were mind boggling though..

  • the dress to be buried in
  • her own make-up and nail polish
  • earrings
  • shoes
  • obituary already made up
  • a self written poem to the family
  • sealed up all requests and had one issued to her daughter and one issued to the funeral home
I remember a long time ago in school as a class project we wrote our obituaries out. I can't remember what I said but I know it damn near boiled down to who I was giving my prized possessions away to. My Sega Genesis was given to a cousin and my 10-speed mountain bike was left to my best friend. lol I mean shit.. I was young so I didn't own anything at the time. I thought about it though after that funeral and wondered what I would write about in my obituary.

Would my funeral be a ghetto turn out filled with family members snapping pictures in front of the casket like there was a drop background of a stretch Hummer and bottles of champagne?

Would people be tossing themselves on the casket while I'm in the earth talking about, " ahhh Jesus Noooo.. please take me instead.. why her??? Jesus why herrrrr???!!!"

Would people wear air brushed shirts that had a picture of me on the front and said on the back.. "R.I.P. Tasha"?

Would someone break out into a fight in the middle of the church while the organist plays a beautiful rendition of, " Whoop.. There is it"?

What? I'm just sayin...


 
1 Comments:


At 8/27/2007 6:43 PM, Blogger Tom_Gurl

*wipes brow* phew, I thought I was the only one that has thought about this! I did write a little something one time-a few years ago that I entitled 'Sony Cry'...heck if I know why...but it basically listed what songs I wanted played at the funeral etc....I read it again the other day...it's so crap!

Hmm...I'm thinking to write another! I don't want a funeral I'll hate...and have folks saying 'it's the way she woulda wanted it' when it's actually not!!

Oh-and good to see you back!! :)