Friday, November 03, 2006
posted by thee modern isis at 2:02 PM

Why is it that I look at my 9 year old brother and instead of going outside, he'd rather be in the house watching Nickolodeon/Disney, playing Playstation or playing games on the computer.


**I remember when my grandma would stand on the porch in her duster when the street lights were on and scream my name over and over again.

**I remember I was never around, somewhere on my bike around the block and soon as I hit the street someone would say, " your grandma was calling you."

**I remember when I used to be taller then all of the boys on the street.

**I remember when I had a white and yellow banana seat bike with the streamers in the handlebars.

**I would always ride that one friend that didn't have a bike.

**I remember when (real) scooters were popular, and not them damn skinny ones that came out a few years ago.

**I remember when I got my first mountain bike and we would be like 7 deep riding around the city.

**I remember asking my granddaddy for a dollar then going to the corner store and getting a quarter juice, a bag of chips, 20 pieces of penny candy, 2 packs of johnny apple seeds, 2 packs of cherry clans and 2 packs of lemon heads.

**I remember finding 10 cents then going BACK to the corner store to get a koolaid pack, then going in the house and mixing it with sugar in a sandwich baggie and having all my friends put they hand out for some.

**I remember all of my friends having one red hand cause the koolaid stained it.

**I remember hot pickles.

**I remember playing 4 squares, freeze tag, TV tag, hand slaps, dodge ball, and of course someone's porch was safe.

**I remember when we played freeze tag, that one punk used to always shout out.. TIMEOUT! when they was about to get caught.

**I remember standing on the sidewalk and practicing steps.

**I still remember all of the hand clap songs. ex: "Miss Mary Mack, Mack, Mack.. all dressed in Black, Black, Black...."

**I remember cassette players and buying singles.

**I remember writing down the lyrics to my favorite songs then singing them in the mirror.

**I remember being in the church choir and regardless if I messed up a song or not, all of the old ladies would smile and say, " Bless her hawt!"

**I remember having indoor recesses at school and getting to play "Heads up, 7-up"

**I remember having 3 empty 5-gallon ice cream buckets filled with barretts and bow's of every color.

**I remember coming in the house after playing outside, taking my bath and coming down the stairs in my pajamas with the feet in them.

**I remember growing out of them damn pajamas and my granddaddy would cut the feet off and I still had to wear them.

**I remember Cosby nights, we would all sit around in the living room and watch the Cosby show and see if they changed the beginning theme again.



I look at my brother and the kids now-a-days and wonder what's wrong with them..

damn.. I miss being a kid!

-Isis

 
6 Comments:


At 11/03/2006 4:20 PM, Blogger SynSational

FIRST!!! LOL...I loved this post! Man, my kids love to be outside, but it's still not the same when we were growing up cause we played with neighborhood kids and nowadays you don't know your neighbors like we did. But they still get their workout on that PS2. I'm just glad their not lazy kids who hate outdoors.

Man, buying kool-aid packs! Mannnn...my oldest son does that and when he first did it, he acted like it was something new. I was like boy, I did that in 3rd, 4th grade.

Riding 7-8 deep on bikes, and riding your friends who didn't have a bike....man, priceless. **sigh** There's so much I can say about this post, damn, I wanna be a kid again. LOL!

 

At 11/03/2006 5:36 PM, Blogger 1InTheSame

Wow Lemon Heads, Cosby Show, Hot Pickles....Man those were the days..Can we bring 'em back..I am sitting here right now singing "Back in the Day" by Ahmad....Damn quarter waters, kool aid, Good innocent fun....except for Hide and Go Get It.

 

At 11/04/2006 4:08 PM, Blogger Tenacious

"I remember growing out of them damn pajamas and my granddaddy would cut the feet off and I still had to wear them"

STFU--I thought my moms was the only one who did that got to the point where the bottoms became capris and you could barely get into the arm w/o it bursting and you had to wear it half unzipped so you can breathe...or wait was that still just my moms...?

Thanks for the walk down memory lane, I REMEMBER all of this. I remember when you gradually earned priviledges to riding you bike, first in front of the house, then ur were a few doors down, then to the corner and back, eventually across the street AND finally off the block...but only to the park.

Did you get in trouble for letting kids ride your bike? That was an automatic, "bring that shit in the house" in my household

Not the hot pickle! *lol* I remember when we would put a peppermint stick in the middle of the pickle and eat it.

What you know about the gallon of barretts? I hated getting my hair combed as a shorty as soon as I heard the rattling, I was on the run!

And let's not get on the book of lyrics...I think I still have one somewhere. And dubbing songs off the radio, can't forget that even though the DJS usually cut in and fucked up the song...damn Mike Love and The Diz **WGCI in Chicago**

**sigh Kids don't know nuffin' about this nowadays....A damn shame**

 

At 11/04/2006 4:15 PM, Blogger Tenacious

@ Isis

*sigh* Yes I was mad, I wanted to see the nasty Player's Club strippers...I got Striptease strippers. And I did not get hit on once.

Ima just need ole girl to not clap her cheek inches from my face, I could have done without the mental image.

And if I wasn't drunk and probably wouldnt have gotten yanked off the stage I wouldve had to show them why my stripper name would be Hot Chokolet..." Shit couldve earned some cash while I was at it. Although I would strip in some stilleto boots and a thong. Or shit a baby phat jean fit and some timbs...not a drop is coming off until I see the money *Ronnie style *lol**

All while I clap my cheeks to "Between The Sheets" by the Isley Brothers

And let's not get on male strippers...best in small doses from a distance. I don't need a dick scuff in the forehead from being slapped by that monster b/w the legs. And the greasiness...I mean ashiness is never sexy but I like my donuts glazed not my men!

 

At 11/07/2006 2:51 PM, Blogger nikki

this is the best post evar! you took me back on that one, especially with the 'red hand' reference. that was red hand, red teeth, red lips, and red tongue.

and everybody sat around to see the new cosby theme! when i think on it, none of them really had me all giddy, but i loved the show.

 

At 11/17/2006 12:56 PM, Blogger eclectik

You aLREADY know about me and the I remember posts ;)

Love it.

e.

eclectik-relaxation.com

The Messageboard